Sunday, April 21, 2013

You can say this about life...it goes on

Well, it's been quite the week here at Bad Data Bad.

I appreciate all the kind words (both here and on Facebook and IRL) in response to my last post.  As some of you know, I ended up modifying that post and delivering it as the family eulogy at his funeral.  The fire chief also delivered a eulogy, and I think my uncle would be happy to know that the last line of both of our speeches ended with a hope that the farming equipment in heaven was more reliable than what he had here on earth.  He really did hate that baler.

We heard about the Boston Marathon bombings in our brief break between the fireman's wake and the regular wake.  It was difficult for me because the marathon is one of the biggest fundraisers of the year for my workplace, so I knew dozens of runners and volunteers, not to mention possible members of the crowd. 

I returned to work on Thursday.  The bombings still hadn't registered, but reality hit when I got off the train and ran right in to a group of MPs.  My bus took me within viewing distance of one of the blast sites, and by lunchtime, the Obama's were at my workplace, visiting victims*.  

I worked from home on Friday, safe in the suburbs.  My hospital was on lock down, so they encouraged all who could stay home to do so.  I was happy to oblige. 

All in all, not one of my better weeks.  However, I'm safe, my family's safe, and life is going on.  I think I have enough mental energy back to resume blogging this week (provided the world holds off on any more disasters), but I wanted to make sure you all had the update.

Thank you again for your kindness, and for reminding me how much good still exists in the world.

*the hospital I work at is oncology only, but located in the middle of two hospitals they were visiting, so they walked through our halls to get between the two.

1 comment:

  1. Somewhere in my friend-of-a-friend circle on FB is a person who had relatives wounded in the bomb blast in Boston.

    It feels too distant, yet too close (due to the level of attention that events like this bring to the news world).

    Best wishes and prayers for you and your friends, coworkers, and family.

    ReplyDelete